I thoroughly enjoyed Murray’s course. The information was digestible and practical, and most of all, fun! Dianah R.
Fresh fish, fertilizer and fresh, nutrient-dense veggies fast at your fingertips – this is gardening made easy!
If you want more from your garden and like the idea of having a plentiful regular supply of fresh leafy greens and vegetables as well as the occasional fish dinner, then an Aquaponics system is for you. They are easy to install, look great and provide plenty of food.
Aquaponics is rapidly becoming popular in Australian backyards and farms. Relatively small systems can feed your family fresh, nutritious vegetables right through the year with relatively little input and work. Unlike soil ground systems aquaponics can produce green veggies fast, in a system that feeds and waters itself. They require a relatively small amount of space for the amount of food they produce in a short period of time. They can be set up on rock or concrete, verandahs, and in many other spaces. In addition to soil based gardening systems Aquaponics can make your home more productive, resilient and stable with food production right through the year. Aquaponics adds a new dimension to your farm, home, school or community garden.
Some of the virtues of an Aquaponics System:
- enables you to provide your own fresh organic food
- makes gardening easy (especially, raised beds save bending)
- makes growing fast! Growth rates are super fast in aquaponics
- saves space for the amount of food production
- makes gardening convenient – close to you
- less work –the fish add nutrients to the water, for use by the plants
- no watering – the system waters itself
- can work anywhere in a controlled environment, on concrete, etc
- fewer pests, fewer losses – off the ground from roos, rabbits and other animals – the controlled environment means easier management
- fewer inputs – fertilizer – this is a garden that feeds itself!
About the Workshop
This workshop will teach you the essentials of Aquaponics such as designing a system best suited to you, learning to grow plants, fish care and plumbing. The basics of Aquaponics can be quite simple, and if practised, following a few simple principles, excellent growing conditions for both fish and plants are achieved and you will be able to grow clean, nutrient dense produce and fish at home.
Along with loads of information and knowledge you will obtain from the workshop you will also be setting up a system from scratch so this hands-on training will provide you with the skills and confidence to set one up for yourself afterwards. You will walk away all fired up to go! Murray Hallam from Practical Aquaponics will be presenting this special 4-day Aquaponics Course where he will help you make your commercial Aquaponics dream a reality. See http://aquaponics.net.au/
This course develops a comprehensive beginners understanding of aquaponics. I feel confident that I can go away and design/implement an aquaponics system that will be successful. All aspects of this course are based on experience and experiemental science. Marcus C.
Day 1: 8:30am – 4pm
- Aquaponics Course Descriptor:
- Introductions, Greenhouse inspection and overview
- Planning the Farm, Finance, Materials, Infrastructure.
- How does it work? Nitrogen cycle, pH, O2, Disease & Nutrients.
- Filtration. Types, choices
- Crop choice, Plants and fish. How to
- Marketing my product/business, variation to pricing and value adding, branding
- Introduction to local/state legals
Day 2: 9am – 4pm
- Farm style. FloMedia, DWC, NFT, MBB
- Design, Construct, Erect. Construction methods/choices
Grow Bed components. Fish tank components
- Greenhouse considerations. Covered growing
- Choices in Grow Media, Wicking beds.
- Insect control, disease control in plants / fish
- Microbiology & water chemistry
- Q & A session
Day 3: 9am – 4pm
- Nutrient availability
- Plumbing, Pumps, Solar, Backup, Legals (2)
- Marketing (2) Internet, Sundry marketing, Farm gate sales +
Day 4: 9am – 4pm
- Construct, assemble and erect. (2)
- Greenhouse technology, heating, cooling
- FloMedia technology and its additions and variations
- Bio security
- Final Q&A session
PLEASE NOTE: This is a summary of course content.
Hand out notes and other material will be made available during the course.
We reserve the right to change, add to or alter any aspect of the training without notice.
Your Course Fee of $1,290 includes:
- Your four full day course with Murray Hallam
- Lunch each day, morning and afternoon tea
- A comprehensive manual is also provided for each student and a Dropbox folder access is provided to a comprehensive list of PDF files for later use and
- Two very detailed business planning spreadsheets.
For more detail of Murray’s course see https://www.aquaponics.net.au/master-classes/
I can’t fault this course. Not only have I learned how to design, build and maintain an AP system, I’ve been inspired to be part of the future of food production. Murray’s passion for aquaponics is contagious. Erin M.
Bandusia Country Retreat – St Albans NSW
Bandusia Country Retreat is a boutique luxury retreat a comfortable two hours drive from Sydney. Its facilities are lush and unique. Rooms have their own ensuite. See banduisa.com.au
Bandusia is also the site for the Permaculture Sydney Institute, the host of this workshop. The site demonstrates a range of sustainable living and permaculture principles and techniques.
On-site Accommodation & Meals Package
A special accommodation and meals package is offered for those doing the Aquaponics Course. Prices (all include breakfast and dinner and access to all facilities)
- Camping, Breakfast and Dinner: $45 per person per night
- Twin share room, breakfast and dinner: $70 per person per night
- Private Double Room $140 per night (up to 2 people)
- By staying on-site at Bandusia Country Retreat you will have a chance to be up close and personal with the Murray and discuss a range of topics related to Aquaponics. You will be able to ask those all important questions you might have relating to your systems and get a great insight to options, ideas and opportunities possible to you in Aquaponics and your own Aquaponics systems.
About the Trainer
Murray Hallam is the King of Aquaponics in Australia. He is the founding director of Practical Aquaponics, a company that specialises in aquaponics systems, products and services in Australia and abroad. Practical Aquaponics has been in business for more than 13 years. During that time it has developed a range of Aquaponic Kits and accessories that have been delivered to every state of Australia and exported to Hong Kong, China, New Zealand, Bermuda, Singapore, and the United States. Additionally, Practical Aquaponics has delivered Aquaponics training programs across Australia and the United States, India, Morocco, and Puerto Rico.
Murray has distributed three full length Aquaponics DVDs to every country in the world and his You Tube clips have been viewed more than three million times. Practical Aquaponics has been featured on National television in programs such as Gardening Australia, Costa’s Garden Odyssey, Totally Wild and Australian Sixty Minutes.
Since early 2006, Practical Aquaponics has worked continuously developing and proving Aquaponics systems both home scale and commercial scale. It has manufactured and delivered hundreds of home Aquaponics systems. Murray’s Future Farm designs are without equal.
Practical Aquaponics has received Australian Federal Government certification for its yet to be released Certificate III in Aquaponics Organic Food Production. The certified course code is 10427NAT. Murray holds a Federal Government Cert IV TAAO4 in Workplace Training and Assessment.
Since Murray discovered Aquaponics he has been obsessed by it. He says that “it is most inspiring to be involved in a new fledgling industry that has the capacity to deliver food purity and food security to all. We are all devoted to food purity and security in order to enjoy better health and the ultimate survival of us all.” He further states that “we teach Aquaponics because we really believe that it is a wonderful way for families and individuals to provide ‘better than organic’ food for themselves. There are also amazing commercial opportunities for this wonderful technology. We actually do Aquaponics every single day. We live and breathe Aquaponics”.
Murray’s knowledge and experience in Aquaponics is immense. Be assured you will be learning from the very best!